Jun 16, 2019
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog
Elementary Education and Reading Department Requirements - Childhood Education (Grades 1-6) Joint program with Mohawk Valley Community College, Liberal Arts Concentration, B.S.
Hegis Code 0802
Courses in Professional Education, General Education, and Related Work:
The following patterns represent overall course requirements for Childhood Education majors.
Professional Education Sequence: 25 s.h.
Student Teaching: 15 s.h.
Required Related Work: 6-10 s.h.
General Education Coursework: 30 s.h.
Select at least 30 s.h. from the courses below. In addition, these 30 s.h. must represent each of the first six general education attributes (M3, FL3, BC3, A3, NS3, and H3) and at least one of the remaining four (SS3, AM3, WC3, and OW3) in order to meet NYS Education Content Core requirements.
Foreign Language: 0-6 s.h.
- Any Foreign Language at the 102 level or higher ~OR~ meeting the education foreign language requirement in related work via a proficiency score of 250 or higher
Basic Communication: 3 s.h.
- Any COMP course with a BC3 attribute.
Fine Arts: 3 s.h.
- Any Fine Arts with an A3 attribute
Science: 3-4 s.h.
- Any Science course with an NS3
Humanities: 3 s.h.
- Any course with an H3 attribute
At Least 3 s.h. in at Least One of the Following General Education Attributes: 3 s.h.
- Any course with a SS3 attribute
- Any course with an AM3 attribute
- Any course with a WC3 attribute
- Any course with an OW3 attribute
Concentration: 30 s.h.
See Concentration requirements below.
Liberal Arts Concentration: 30-32 s.h.
Liberal Arts Concentration courses may not overlap with General Education coursework.
- MATH 105 - Pre-calculus 3 s.h. or a MATH above 109 Credits / Units: 3 s.h.
- AHIS 266 - History of New York State 3 s.h.
- Science - from ASTR, BIOL, CHEM, ESCI, GEOL, METR, NUTR, OCEA, ENVS, or PHYS 3-4 s.h.
- 200 level or higher Science 3-4 s.h.
- Any POLS 3 s.h.
- Any ECON, ANTH, GEOG, or SOC 3 s.h.
- Any two 200 level or higher ARTH, ARTS, DANC, MUSC, COMM, CART, MCOM, or THTR 6 s.h.
- Any 200 level ALIT, ELIT, LITR, or WLIT 3 s.h.
- Any 200 level PHIL 3 s.h.